WINTER TIRES / SNOW TIRES
When winter comes around in Massachusetts, winter tires come into play. Many customers we work with choose winter tires because they are safer when the temps drop. Winter tires are made with a different rubber compund designed for the cold, this means that the tire grips the road better and doesn’t stiffen like an all season or summer tire. On a dry winter day, when you hit the brakes they stop better, if there’s a wintery mix or snow the stopping and turing ability vs a summer or all season tire is drastically better.
We can recommend the right tire for you and your vehicle. With our mobile tire service your new tires are installed at your home or work anywhere in the Greater Boston area.
Do I need winter tires?
You may ask yourself: Do I need winter tires? or How do winter tires improve winter driving?
Well these questions can be answered by finding out the basics on what makes a winter tire different from the rest. A winter tire has a special tread design along with a special rubber compound that are designed to handle to the cold and winter weather . The sipes (little jaggedy lines) cut into the tread are made to be flexible so that snow is trapped in tread and traction is increased. Even on a dry road, when the temps are freezing a winter tire outperforms an all season by providing better handling and stopping distances. Not all winter tires are made the same and while there is more than one good option, many can be good at the beginning of their lives, but after some initial wear lose performance.
Let us help you make the right choice on new tires for your vehicle, we’re local, family run and here to help!
Seasonal Tire Storage
We offer seasonal tire storage, please call or email for availability.
WINTER DRIVING TIPS
- When getting winter tires, change all four. Studies have shown that only changing two can produce a poor quality handling balance. You don’t want the front wheels to be getting a different traction than the rear wheels.
- Most winter tires have a low or Q-speed rating (up to 99mph) so don’t be so worried about matching up a speed rated tire to your vehicle. The most important thing that has to match between your normal tires and your winter ones is the tire size (unless you use different rims for your winter tires) and load rating.
- Once winter is over change your winter tires back to your normal tires because winter tires aren’t designed to be driven in warm summer temps.
- Never use cruise control when driving on winter roads.
- When driving by yourself in the winter time you should plan ahead and have the following items: a flash light, a cell phone, jumper cables, blankets, gloves, boots, a first aid kit, an ice scraper, flares and a tow cable.
- Don’t follow cars too closely; never rely on other drivers having good driving habits.
- The last tip is to test the road. When you first get onto the road test your steering and your brakes to initially identify the current road conditions but remember that conditions change along your journey.
All wheel / four wheel drive might help you go, but it doesn’t help you stop or turn!
Please call or e-mail now for winter tire pricing and recommendation, we carry all major tire makes and models.
Mobile Tire Services
Top of the line tire machines and tools to protect your wheels and tires
We also carry every major winter tire on the market so we can get you the right winter tire in Needham.
Our Google Page
We are the best tire shop in Needham and the only one tire shop that comes to YOU!